Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Vacation Weekend

We had a great trip to Pennsylvania to see my parents this past weekend. The only issue we had on the way in was that James got car sick. Apparently he can not watch a DVD while going through the mountains of Pennsylvania. Luckily we were almost to my parents house when he got sick. John said "He's spitting up again" - I'm thinking Tommy, no its James. On the way home the kids mostly slept and when they were awake there was no way I was taking a chance on him getting sick so there was no DVD on the way home. Not to mention I gave him some Dramamine.

The kids had a blast spending time with my parents. We got to do just about everything on their list they wanted to do. They got to go fishing, play putt-putt, my Dad took us on a boat ride, and play with Grandma's toys. I think the only thing I wish we could have done was have a camp fire but they have been getting so much rain that their backyard was a swamp.

We came home on Monday because John's Water Show performance was Tuesday night at 9pm. It turned out to be a good plan because we weren't too tired from being in a car all day. I tried to get everyone to nap with the late night ahead of us but it didn't really work out. I was nervous about getting a parking spot so we left about a an hour before the program began. It turned out to be a great move. We were in line early enough to guarantee us a seat. John was a little nervous about going with his group until his cousins arrived but after they arrived he seemed ok to be without us. James and Patrick were definitely getting tired as we waited in line so I suggested that Matt take the boys to the playground. It gave them a chance to move around and they could also say hi to John who was "back stage". We finally were allowed in and we got settled. Luckily they were selling popcorn as this is just the snack James and Patrick needed. John did wonderful and it looked like he enjoyed himself. He said he would like to do it next year - which made me happy.

We got home got everyone settled (it is now roughly 10:30). A little before 3 am I started to hear it rain. I thought "Oh crap a few windows on our back porch are open but that is tough". I couldn't not believe my ears as the rain was so loud. It almost sounded like a big mop was being dripped on our house. I was also hoping it wouldn't wake the kids because it was so loud. The next thing I heard around 2:57am was a siren letting us know there was a tornado warning. I said to Matt - that is a tornado warning. So we both went upstairs. He got John and I got Patrick. He then went back up for James and I got Tommy. James and John were on the couch still sleeping for the most part but Patrick and Tommy were awake. We turned on the TV to find out any information. We saw the warning was to expire at 3:15 am. After a few minutes of being downstairs we could tell it stopped raining. Then we saw on the Weather Channel that the warning was cancelled. Everyone was put back in bed. I had to rock Tommy back to sleep after he got over a case of the hiccups.

We were all very sleepy this morning but John still made it to swimming lessons today. I had a chiropractor appointment. All is well with my back so I only need to go back when it starts to get sore again. After lessons I took the kids to Target. The wash ruined one of my favorite bras so I was on the hunt for a new one. We stopped at the snack place and had some popcorn with my sister and her kids. She then took the kids to look at the toys while I shopped for a new bra. I could only find one bra that I liked in my size - and it was pink. I bought it - well actually Lori bought it as I had so much stuff I forgot to put it on the counter and luckily Lori was still checking out when I discovered I was about to steal a pink bra. While in the store I heard another siren. I thought "Oh god, I hope they are only testing the siren". I then remembered it is the first Wednesday of the month and it was around 11am and that is when they normally test the siren. It works alright! Everyone is napping right now - thank goodness - hopefully we can get back to "normal" soon!

No comments: