Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The fun has begun! Thomas Andrew is born!

Thomas Andrew has arrived! Now the “fun” has begun. It all started on Sunday night. We got the boys down for the evening and I was starting to fold the last of the laundry for the weekend when I felt like I lost control of my bladder. I ran to the bathroom and took care of business. Now I decided to grab a pair of clean underwear from the basket when it happened again. I know I just went so I didn’t think I was having an “overactive bladder” moment. Could this be my water breaking? While I’m in the bathroom I decided to summon my dear husband to go upstairs to get me a maxi pad. The last thing I wanted was to go through 5 different pair of underwear. I then filled him in with what I thought was going on and he was like ok – now what? I said we call my sister and we go to the hospital to find out for sure. So as we waited for Lori – I grabbed the last minute items I didn’t pack and made many trips to the bathroom. It is just weird when you don’t have control of what is coming out of you!

The ride to the hospital was full of mixed emotions – excited and nervousness. I kept hearing about how the more kids you have the faster the later ones arrive. I wasn’t having any contractions but when the baby moved I kept wondering if this was the time it was just going to come out? I told Matt I think we should go in through the ER. He agreed. They took me right up to L&D where shortly after we arrived it was confirmed my water did break. After being a pin cushion my IV was hooked up and they began the pitocin. At that point I knew Matt and I were in for a long night. I even mentioned to him what is up with the kids arriving in the middle of the night. We both tried to rest as we watched some TV.

At one point in the wee hours of the morning when the nurse came to check on me or the IV that was beeping, I explained to her that the last time I gave birth to a baby came very quickly near the end – no doctor’s no nurses just Matt and I asking for help. She said that is ok she would be hear to remind me what to do and to stay focused. Her words really helped put me at ease and I kept those words in my head so I knew to relax and it would be ok. So around 5am the contractions were getting closer together so I called the nurse in and made sure Matt was more awake than asleep. At one point she said do you feel like pushing? I said yes. So on the next contraction she said I would push and she would check to see where I was at. That is when Thomas started to come down the birth canal like a train. The next thing I know she and Matt are telling me to stop pushing – easier said than done when you just want the pain over with. Well I tried to stop and the nurse was freaking out as the doctor was not in the room, the baby was coming – so she called in the other nurses and out Thomas came. He was ok but in the mass confusion of everything I’m not sure if they took his initial Apagar score. I was very relieved that was over and this time I wasn’t the one freaking out! What Matt and I thought was funny was the nurses asking me if I was having my tubes tied. I am going to have my tubes tied with a new procedure that will take place in about 6 weeks. I couldn’t help but wonder why didn’t they ask me after the 3rd child was born?

Thomas weighed in at 7lbs 8oz and 20 ¼ inches long. I was disappointed that he didn’t weigh more – that means most of the fat landed on me! He sure is one handsome little dude!

Matt and I both rested late in the morning. It was nice to sleep for a while. Thomas was nursing like a champ – especially after he was born. Matt brought the boys to the hospital to meet him early in the evening. John and James were a little hesitant to come by me but Patrick was sure happy to see me. The boys warmed up after a while – of course when they received a present from Thomas that helped!

Last night was pretty good. He nursed well before I had him taken to the Nursery so I could get some rest. They brought him in around 2am but he didn’t seem too interested in nursing. He then nursed great again after I finally woke him up around 5:30am. The only problem we ran into is Thomas’ bilirubin level is high for his age. They are treating him with lights and phototherapy and supplementing him with some formula. I’m waiting for the results hopefully the levels will start to go down so he can come home tomorrow.

Tomorrow John has his kindergarten screening. I was hoping to take him but maybe he will do better with Matt there and not his overly protective mother!

Well American Idol is on. I think I will get ready to rest and wait for my little man to nurse some more. Good night!

No comments: