Monday, February 4, 2008

February 4th

Well I survived my first day of being a SAHM of 3 with #4 due in 3 weeks. John, my oldest (4 years old) had preschool today. So we dropped him off. This was the first time in a while James (2 yrs old) and Patrick (13 almost 14 months) dropped John off school in a long while. That is a long story that I'm not going into. Anyways, James was sad to see John go into his class without him. I thought that was sweet until James decided he was too sad to get into the van. That left me picking him up (while still holding Patrick) and getting him in the van. I suggested he sit in John's car seat - which made everything all right. I miss when John is not with us. James is still full service - compared to self serve like John. Meaning - John can buckle and unbuckle himself and James just hasn't tried or wanted to try yet.

We got home and hung out for a while. James wanted to go up to his room to play. I wasn't thrilled with the idea but went along with it. I was able to clean up the millions of books that they took off their bookshelf and finally moved John's & James clothes into different dressers to make room for Patrick's clothes which will be moved upstairs this week.

After a snack and a few diaper changes we were off to the local craft store to look for ideas for a Valentine's Party craft. I decided I should be "room parent" in the upcoming Valentine's party at John's school. It is kind of intimidating thinking that the children in John's class will be looking to me to make this a fun party. I have come up with a game and now I have a craft. Hopefully that will fill the hour and 15 minutes before the other parents are allowed to come in to join the fun.

We picked up John. James again, missing his brother, greeted him with a hug. John came out with one glove on. I said - oh we didn't have both gloves in your bag? (also thinking to myself - you don't really need them on) He said no - I only wanted one, just like Uncle Bob (another long story but funny to those who know Uncle Bob only wears one glove for medical reasons).

We travel home and the boys begin to play. We are upstairs for a while until I think we had enough fun and I decide it is time for lunch. The boys ate well and then after the dishes we went downstairs to catch some Sesame Street. John watched SS, James and Patrick played and I napped a little because I knew I wanted to get some things done while the little ones napped.

I'm still undecided if I like John napping or not. He wasn't napping for the last few months while my sister watched him but over the last month he has had a nap or two that makes him stay up much later that I would like at night. So I told him to hang out while I put James and Patrick down. I had him help me put together the new double stroller - that thing is awesome! Then we went to the basement so I could get some "work" done on the laptop and he could play a little too on the web with the main computer. That plan worked until Patrick decided it was time for him to cry. Its a mystery as to why - teeth? cold? to annoy me? I tried to rock him but John kept coming upstairs wondering why it was taking so long. I was trying to explain there is no timeline on this one - except my bladder was full and Patrick was put down to cry some more so I could relieve myself. I decided to give up on Patrick trying to back to sleep. I held him while John and I played Crazy Eights. As we were playing I was thinking too bad James isn't awake and we could do something else. Well I received my wish as he came down the stairs not long after my thought.

The weather wasn't terrible so I suggested we go for a walk. John was against the idea until I brought up the idea of using the wagon. Crazy idea on my part but it worked out well and Thomas is still inside me. Pulling 100 lbs around the block isn't always fun. Soon inside it was time for me to get dinner on the table.

This is the part I think I'm going to enjoy mostly about being home. The boys and I can eat around 4:30/5pm. The hard part - as always - is getting something on the table before they whine to me about how hungry they are. Sometimes I try to tune them out but it still gets to me. Finally I sit down to my eggplant parmesean. It was very tasty much to my surprise.

The rest of the evening was pleasant at times. John was tired from not napping and would cry at the drop of a hat if you criticized him in any way. Patrick was a bit fussy too from being tired.

I am relieved I survived today and look forward to tomorrow. After my doctor's appointment I would like to go the mall just to let the kids run around the play area. I think they will enjoy that. Hopefully I will be able to nap if I need to when we get home!

1 comment:

Matthew K said...

I call first comment on first post! I hope this doesn't mean you are abandoning SMWIAL!