Monday, August 24, 2009

The last day of summer vacation

So I was trying to think of something fun to do with the kids. I was pretty sure I would take them to the Penitentary Glen Park for some nature but at the last minute decided to take them to beach - not to swim but play in the sand and playground equipment. When I first got there I was astonished at the number of bees at the beach after all there are no flowers in sight just sand! We made our way near the lake so the boys could throw rocks in the lake (a new favorite pastime) and then soon we were digging in the sand and making volcanoes with water inside. After a while we walked back to play on the playground. They had fun with it and soon it was lunch time. Again the bees are everywhere. The kids are starting to freak out and I am a little too because Matt is allergic to bees and I don't want to have someone having a reaction today. Well poor Tommy was the lucky child that got stung. It was on his thumb. The poor thing cried and cried. Luckily I knew the people who worked at the refreshment stand and they gave me a spray that numbs the area. It didn't really help so we finished our lunches on the way home. Tommy continued to cry until he fell asleep but started up again when I was getting him out of the car. I gave him ibuprofen and put vinegar on the sting. I did my best to hold a cold compress on it but he would have nothing to do with it. He finally settled down enough so we could head to Walgreen for antihistamine. When looking at the doses I figured there was no way a pharmacist would tell me how much to give to him but I asked anyways and they did. By the time we got home the redness had gone away so I didn't give him any but at least I have it on hand. It was a semi peaceful naptime. Patrick just got up a few minutes ago to tell me I'm wet. Turns out his diaper was half off with just being a little wet. The major wet was on his sheets - ugh! I'm glad I had a cat nap because this is turning out to be a pretty exhausting day - especially when I carried Tommy all through Walgreens! Yes I will be sad John is going to school but at least nap time has a 90% chance of being fight free - that is until Patrick wakes up!

No comments: