Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ugh I have the back to school cold!

The kids fought it off pretty well but I guess staying up later than I should for the past two weeks has taken its toll on me. The last two days I've felt like "sure kids do what ever you want". Which has turned out good and bad for me. The good - the kids have behaved pretty well because they are doing whatever the hell they want. The bad - I forgot that Patrick likes to sometimes follow James. James was told to go in the bathroom to use it but Patrick made it in there first and put James' pajama top in the toilet. Lucky for me he didn't flush and it was just clear water! The other bad - the mess of blocks and toys. I'm starting to not let Patrick get away with messing things up. It's time he faced the music!

This morning I found a recipe online for pumpkin gobbs. Matt's company is holding a car wash to raise money for the Leukemia Society and thought about having a bake sale to go along with the car wash. Matt didn't volunteer me to make anything but once I thought about the idea it sounded good so off to the store we went. We only needed a few ingredients. James and Patrick enjoyed the car part of the cart. Tommy enjoyed looking around and John had no choice but to enjoy either pushing the cart or putting the items we needed into the cart. BTW I was told I was brave by another shopper when entering the store. The kids enjoyed the outing and to top it off we got to watch some guy being confronted when he was trying to steal cigarettes. Anyway, we got home and I decided to make the gobbs. I misread some of the instructions on what needed mixed together - I ended up mixing the wet ingredients and then adding it to the dry ingredients. I don't think that harmed anything. My scene was harshed when a tray of about 6 or 7 gobbs waiting to go into the oven got bumped from the counter and on the floor which went right into the garbage. I think the rest ended up turning out ok. I had to cook them longer then the directions but I also think I made them larger than maybe I was supposed to. The directions really didn't say how big to "drop them on the cookie sheet". I used an ice cream scooper. Maybe if I make it next time I will use a small spoon. It was easy enough that I will definitely do it again. After lunch and John was off to school I made the icing part. As I am gobbing up the cakes I look over and there is Patrick on the floor with his leftover breakfast and lunch (toast sticks) trying to feed Tommy. Very cute. It didn't work so well and they both ended up back in the living room at some point where Patrick would make a noise and Tommy would laugh very hard. Pretty soon it will be Tommy stuffing my toilet with God knows what while he follows Patrick. Oh the things I have to look forward too!

I have been fortunate enough this week that everyone in the 3 and under column have been cooperating enough at naptime that I have been able to catch a nap myself. That has definitely helped me feel a little better.

James has been doing awesome with potty training. I'm really proud of him. He somehow doesn't make it to the bathroom in time when he has a bowel movement but he does go every time I tell him too - which is about every hour. I thought about giving him a matchbox car last night because he only had one accident with the big boy underwear however I did tell him he has to have no accidents to get one - so the M&M's have been working as a reward in the meantime.

John has a soccer game tonight. The rain has moved through so that will be good as we will not be confined to the car to watch the game. Ok I must move on - only 45 more minutes of peace to myself!

No comments: