Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twas the week before Christmas

And now its time to put planning into execution. Sunday I made cut out gingerbread cookies. I even decorated them with frosting. They turned out really good so I think I will continue that tradition next year. Yesterday I made peanut butter cookies with the Hershey Kiss. But as I discovered last year, a mint Hershey Kiss is much better than the regular chocolate ones. I decided it is the Hershey Kiss cookies that Matt should enter into his cookie contest at work.

My Aunt Judie passed away last Saturday so that added a little more craziness to the week as my parents came in for the funeral on Tuesday. I took the boys to the funeral mass and they were very well behaved. I had my parents there in case someone other than Tommy needed to be held. The boys knew that Wendy's for lunch was the reward for good behavior so I think that helped.

Last night I ran an "errand" to my storage unit and got some things wrapped. That takes some more pressure off of me for next week. Now this weekend I need to make the sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles and chocolate chip cookies. I'm debating on making the chocolate chip cheesecake squares - but they are yummy and easy to make.

Yesterday John almost got hit by an impatient driver as he crossed the street after school. The lady in the car made me uneasy before he was even off the bus as she was at the apron of the driveway where I would pull out the van. John's bus was not too far away from that on the other side of the street. Then for some reason John wasn't one of the first kids off the bus like normal which got my mind racing as to where he was at. Then as John was crossing the street the lady inched up and that is when I began to yell at her - her windows were up so I don't think she realized how furious or scared I was. I think my yelling scared John as he began to cry once he got into the driveway. Today and from now on if there are cars I am going to walk out in the middle of the street so they realize someone from the bus is crossing the street. The person in the car wasn't a teenager - it was someone who should know better.

Today I took the boys to get their haircut. They all look handsome. Tommy was included in this haircutting session as his hair was growing over his ears again and I would rather have a professional try and cut it rather than me. He looks cute. Once he turns one I will have more of his hair cut but for now he will just have to be trimmed. The guys who cut the boys hair are always super nice. They only charged me for 3 haircuts and wouldn't take a tip (maybe it was good I brought a dozen cookies from them ;-)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. John has his holiday party which I will be attending. Next week will be fun and busy too.

On Monday I'm meeting with my "virtual" boss to go over some new things he would like me to work on. Then in the evening we are going to the Farmpark to build a toy and hopefully have an enjoyable evening. The boys have been a bit scared of the animals but James has been asking to go so hopefully not too many tears will be shed.

Then on Tuesday I am using a gift certificate I got from my Pfizer team when Tommy was born. I'm going to get a facial, manicure and pedicure. I'm excited for the "me" time. I think being inside so much is getting to me as I'm yelling at the boys a lot. I hope I can start taking a deep breath and finding some patience. Then that afternoon AT&T is coming to install U-verse for our TV, phone and internet. Hopefully that won't be too difficult. We'll have to move the kids toys and clean up the computer area in the basement before they come.

My parents are coming back into town for Christmas next Tuesday and they will be staying until Friday possibly Saturday morning - it all depends on the weather where they live. When they returned home from the funeral they were about 35 minutes away from their house when they hit snow and it took them about 70 minutes. My mother does not travel well in inclement weather. She is not fun. I remember when I was pregnant with John - Matt and I traveled to Girard, PA the day after Thanksgiving just to buy Yuengling as gifts. Some of those roads off the lake were a little hairy! To this day Matt and I talk about how fun and crazy that was!

No comments: