Friday, May 2, 2014

The crazy time of year has arrived

Tis the season to balance school, sports and everything in between. John is still on the travel team which includes tournaments. I was lucky enough to use the loop hole in the rec league rules to keep James in coach pitch baseball for one more year. I moved Tommy up to the same league as Patrick and James - boom life is easier - at least for this year. Then the date came out for tryouts for the rec league tournament team. Not only did Patrick want to try out but James did too! This is the kid who I had to talk into playing again this season! Well they both made the team so it is going to be a baseball filled Summer. I am excited for James and Patrick - they will get more time of playing the game and improve their skills. I would have had Tommy try out but this is his first year in the 7-8 year old league and I think we need to give him a year to get seasoned at this level. Next week the OAA tests are being given at school. John and James' class have been preparing for the last two weeks. John has come home with work packets to help prepare. He brought home the science one which was for extra credit - but the mom in me was like yes you are doing it. He didn't bring home a science book so we could use that as reference to make it easier - so it was a challenge. Thank goodness I can use the internet to look up definitions of things I do not remember. I think once these tests are over the kids will be on easy street as far as school work goes. James passed his Reading OAA in the Fall and in Ohio the law is you must pass this test to advance to 4th grade. So hopefully we will see an improvement from the Fall! Some interesting observations made by Matt and myself this week. I always thought Patrick was the instigator but it turns out Tommy might be following in his footsteps. I observed yesterday Tommy calling Patrick a girl and when Patrick denied being a girl then Tommy went for his round stuffed football toy known as Baby Skin It and called that a girl. Patrick obviously saw through his ways as I'm sure he has tried this game before and was not rattled. Then Matt told me this morning how Tommy told James how he looked like Patrick. I'm sure that got to James just a little bit - but of course he denied looking like Patrick. I am going to have to keep an eye on that kid!

No comments: