Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And back to the doctors we go!

So last Thursday night Tommy starts having a nice little cough. Still coughing Friday. Saturday his left eye on the bottom lid looks a little red, still coughing and during church he gets a fever. Sunday, still fevered, eye lid still a little tender but now his sneezes are more and plenty of wiping going on with each sneeze. Yesterday his eye lid is still red, nose still running. I was going to make an appointment but it didn't look that terrible. I thought is was related to the cold and the doctor would tell me that and that was that. Yesterday afternoon and last night he had trouble sleeping. When we was up in the middle of the night the area right below is eye was puffy. This morning still puffy. He looked like he was in the losing end of a fight. I made him a appointment thinking blocked duct, eye infection - who knows what else. The doctor said it was related to the cold - to put a cold compress on it (as he allows me too) and he gave me a prescription for amoxicillin. He didn't want whatever was going on to turn into cellulitis. I guess if Tommy gets that he would have to go to the hospital to be hooked up to an IV for treatment. That little fellow has been through enough that I'm glad we are going this route. The doctor was not comfortable with just leaving it go without anything even though he thinks it would go away on its own. I took all the boys with me to the doctors. We were lucky to have a great parking spot and Tommy sleep on the way to and from the office. I told the boys (especially James) that I would buy them lunch if they behaved and didn't mention they had something wrong with their tongue. I don't know why but James prays that his tongue feels better every night. James brings this up and John chimes in too. I said this is not the appointment to bring this up. They didn't and we had a great lunch from Wendy's. I was brave enough not even to use a stroller. I brought the umbrella stroller for Tommy but was thinking why bother - once we get into the doctors office he would be out of it. The main key was to hold onto Patrick's hand in the parking lot. He was good about holding John's until I got Tommy out of the car.

Patrick is potty training very well. Unfortunately he is a PITA about it some of the time. Every time I want one of the older boys to go he chimes in that he has to go. Then when I say its your turn he is no where to be found. He was on the potty this morning and John said he had to go. I said let me get Patrick off first then I realized he was pooping in the potty. That was great until I'm putting on his pull up and he tells me he has to pee. I will be relieved when all the boys are trained and no one is afraid to go to the basement to take care of business.

Tomorrow James is going to a "snapshot of preschool" class that is offered by our city. It meets once a week for an hour for the month. I hope he goes into class without much incident and likes it. I just don't want to have to sit there with the other boys. I'm hoping we can walk around the gym with the Senior Citizens. I think it will be too cold to walk outside around the park and I don't really want to leave James in case he does have a problem (like to go to the library down the street). James think he will talk about Dr. Seuss. John's class has been talking about it because it was Dr. Seuss' birthday on Monday.

John had his class picture today. I'm curious to see how many kids were looking at the camera and what goofy expressions they had on their face that they may regret someday.

Tonight I'm going to John's baseball meeting. I guess they are big into fundraising since the mayor didn't allow the leagues to raise the prices. I hope its not a waste of my time. Matt is going to his 25th reunion planning meeting tomorrow. I hope he enjoys himself.

No comments: