Monday, November 15, 2010

The new car

So last week before Matt left for Las Vegas the check engine light went on in the Malibu. When I found out what the code was for the light we knew it was time to get a new car. So while Matt was in Vegas I checked the internet to find out what might be one of the best cars available with great gas mileage on the highway under $20,000. It turned out to be the Honda Civic. So Saturday after Matt confirmed my research he set out to make a deal on some new wheels.

In the meantime it was such a beautiful day I couldn't let it go to waste and decided it was a perfect day to put the Christmas lights on our front tree. I got out the big big steel ladder that I swear is going to kill me one day because it is so heavy to push it straight up. I finally got it near the top of the tree so I could start there. John and James were available to help out a little while Tommy and Patrick rested. When I got up there I was wondering how am I going to get the lights to go around to the sides without having to move the ladder 3 or 4 times. So I remembered that we have one of those grabber things with the suction cups at the end in the van so when on trips I can pass drinks and snacks to the back seat. John went & fetched that. In no time at all the top part was finished and it was time to put away the big ladder and get out the 6 foot step ladder. Around the tree the ground is not level so it is key to find a good spot to put the ladder. I still needed to go pretty high on the ladder. So when I was nervous about going to the next step I told John and James "Ok, here is the deal. John if I fall and my eyes aren't open go across the street and get the neighbor. Then I made the boys pray "Please do not let Mom fall". We successfully put the rest of the lights on without me falling. It turns out the tree grew and we needed some more lights on the bottom. I bought some a while ago at BJ's. It turns out they were size C6 and I needed C9. James proudly pointed out that if I turned the box upside down it makes a 9. If only I could do that with the lights.

Matt came home shortly after with a sporty looking Honda Civic LX. It is really nice and we now don't have to worry about him getting to and from work.

Yesterday at the kids religion class they talked about prayer. In James class when it was his turn to say what he prays for he said "that my mom does not fall off the ladder when putting up the Christmas lights". My friend who was in the class with her son said it was really sweet. I'm impressed he wasn't praying for Star Wars Legos!

No comments: