Friday, May 21, 2010

James, James, James

As I mentioned earlier this week, James turned 5. He had a wonderful birthday full of presents and love. On Tuesday I sat him down to start writing thank you notes an idea he rejected. So I said we only have to one a day to help ease the pain. I want him to practice both capital and lower letters but I was getting a lot of resistence so I said fine write in all caps. That helped move things along for us. I am here to write things I noticed. First, James will write with either his left or right hand. His right hand writing is much better. Hopefully this left hand habit will leave or come in handy should he break his right hand. Second, he thinks of a story for EVERY letter you tell him to write. L – Luke from school, O – Owen from school, V – Olivia from school, E – Just like me. Then he would throw in a few jokes when I would tell him to write a “u” he would reply “no you”. When he focused on writing and not associating a letter with something we were moving and grooving otherwise it was like I had to hit him upside the head to refocus his attention. Luckily he has his 5 year old check up Tuesday so I can talk to the Doctor about it. Not sure if this is a sign of ADHD or just a 5 year old’s mind wandering. He doesn’t know yet about the doctors appointment. I don’t want him to start fretting about the shots he is about to get. There will be plenty of time for that later. I am planning on James and John doing some sort of school related thing during the summer. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week so they retain what they learned and continue to improve.

No comments: